The Schnellville Volunteer Fire Department was first organized in March of 1947. The first officers were Leo Hoffman for president and Cornelius Kempf for secretary/treasurer. In 1951 the department was incorporated as the Schnellville Fire Fighting Corporation. From the time it was organized until 1966, the fire fighting equipment consisted of a portable Homelite pump and hoses carried on a trailer.
In May of 1966 another important meeting took place. It was decided to purchase a lot, construct a firehouse and buy a Fire Truck. Urban Persohn was appointed Fire Chief and Hilbert Theising Assistant Chief. Those volunteering to be firemen were, Danny Hauser, Joe Fischer, Cyrine Haas, Bobby Schaaf, Donald Schnell, Frank Verkamp, Ottie Striegel, Larry Knust, Egid Hasenour, Virgil Messmer, Marvin Welp, Hilbert Fischer, George Hoffman, Lee Joe Welp, Leo Vic Merkley, and Harold Kempf.
A lot was purchased and a new 30’ X 50’ fire house was built. A 1959 Chevrolet 2 ton Gas truck was also bought and converted into a fire truck with a 1000gallon capacity tank and a 2 inch Gorman Rupp pump. Other equipment included protective firefighting clothing, back pack pumps, rakes and flaps. In the mid 70’s an Army Duece was acquired and fitted with a 1000 gallon water tank and portable pump. In 1980, a new 2 ton Chevrolet chassis was bought and a used 1600 gallon gasoline tanker body obtained. This New Fire Truck replaced the 1959 Chevrolet.
In 1984 the need to have a local emergency medical service available to our part of the county was apparent so 8 firefighters began the training as First Responders. A used utility truck was bought and converted into a Rescue/Brush truck. Within a few years another 9 of the 22 firefighters would be trained as First Responders.
The original 2 bay fire station was now feeling very cramped with 3 trucks squeezed in. In 1991, a grant was obtained to build a new Firehouse. The new firehouse was built and features 4 large bays and a meeting/training room. This new facility was a dream come true.